germany::passau

Europe keeps getting better:
This weekend I took a trip to Passau, Germany to stay with my friend Ole & from the start I could tell the trip was special. I had a 12 hour trip including a 4 hour layover in Venlo {see previous post about the potential scene from “Taken” waiting to take place}. My backpack and I got into a fight due to my hatred for packing, so I wasn’t the happiest person as I headed to the bus at 11:45 at night to catch the train to Venlo where my 1-5 a.m. layover awaited me.
 But then God reminded me why I love traveling.
I arrived in Venlo and, after a creepy encounter with a homeless man {which ended in me giving him euros for fear he would make a human suit out of me}, I walked across the street to a gem I am going to have to revisit: Hotel Wilhelmina. The concierge Pieter welcomed me instantly, and invited me to join a table of himself and friends for a drink. We snuck baguettes from the kitchen and talked over wine until 3:30 in the morning. Once they went home, I fell asleep for about an hour until Pieter woke me to make sure I caught my train. Before I left he took me to the back of the restaurant and told me to take whatever I wanted for my trip. He insisted & sent me with a bag of meats & breads for the train ride. People are so dang nice here, it makes me so happy. In a couple weeks I’ve got a drink date planned with them again when I head to Venlo for the Floriade festival. Peoples kindness continues to amaze me, and it was a great start to the trip because for me traveling is about the random experiences you have & the new people you allow yourself to meet.
Around 12:30 I arrived in Passau and met Ole at the station. Right away I was enchanted by the town, and when we got to Ole’s apartment I got so excited because I finally found a front porch in Europe!
Technically a terrace, but it proved to be the perfect place to sit outside after a day of sightseeing with a glass of wine & talk.

{at Cafe Blaas}
Ole showed me around town before we met Nora for lunch at a true Bavarian restaurant. I had Schweinshaxe, which translates to roasted suckling pig, and this delicious potato dumpling called kartoffelkloesse, & a German beer. The beer was excellent.




Later that evening I found my heaven in Café Blaas. Nestled on a hill that you can see from Passau, this beautiful café is right across the Austrian border. As we were driving up the winding road I was literally speechless at how beautiful the scenery was. Then we got to the top and I fell in love.


Yes I know that I’m starting to sound like Taylor Swift with my quick declaration of love at every new place in Europe but this is arguably the prettiest overlook I’ve ever seen. As soon as we sat down I was already begging Ole to promise and take me again before I left.
Friday and Saturday night were spent out in Passau, and I loved going out with all of Ole’s friends! My favorite was Saturday night we went to a club called Frizz (pronounced Fritz), which was described by Ole as the “best and worst club in town”. Best time in the world, worst sweat you’ve ever exuded while dancing. It was basically in an underground cellar/sauna and ended with Clemens, Ole & I dancing and singing on top of the couches.

 Sunday was my last day and our very dehydrated group met for breakfast at Café Blaas and afterwards went for a short hike in the Austrian countryside.

   


Before I left for the train station we completed my German initiation with dinner at an outdoor café where I had my first wiener schnitzel with roasted potatoes and Weizner beer. I could only ask myself one question: how have I lived without schnitzel all my life?! I am obsessed. Side note: After the weekend in Germany I can tell you I was definitely the darkest [part] German there. But everyone knew Kraemer (Krämer)!




It was so fun to explore a new city with a friend who knew all of the ins & outs. Ole was a perfect host and made sure I got my German experience as a local would. The entire weekend was filled with wonderful new people, great beer & wine and the most breathtaking landscape I’ve ever seen. I was a happy girl.


My heart literally ached a bit when we crossed the bridge to the train station, I wasn’t expecting to fall in love with Passau.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is beautiful!! What a wonderful experience Ronnie thank's againg for taking us in your journey! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete